09 Oct URBANLIST: 47 Healthy Breakfasts You’ll Actually Want To Eat
As we prepare to come out of our winter hibernation for another year, it’s not uncommon to feel the sudden desire to swap your usual Saturday scrambled eggs for a fruit salad. We’ve got you covered, Melbourne, with this epic list of the best healthy breakfasts in our fair city. And it’s not all acai and kale (although they do get a few mentions). From sweet to savoury, pancakes to pudding, these are the best Melbourne breakfasts you can order without copping a heavy dose of #foodenvy.
1. Patch Cafe, Richmond: Banana and almond hotcakes with house-made pistachio and cacao ice-cream, paleo caramel and kiwi chunks.
2. Barry, Northcote: Raw broccolini, kale, avocado, black pearl barley, chilli, basil, activated almonds, coriander, pepita, soft-boiled egg.
3. Combi, Elwood: Organic lemon and blueberry bircher muesli with raw oats and psyilium husks soaked in coconut and almond milk, lemon rind and organic maple syrup, topped with a blueberry chia jam, crunchy bukini, crushed pistachio and house-made cashew yoghurt.
4. Stagger Lee’s, Fitzroy: Toasted almonds and meal, mixed seeds, coconut, strawberries, banana and organic almond milk with a spiced pumpkin puree.
5. Il Fornaio, St Kilda: Cauliflower, kale, globe artichoke, asparagus, hazelnuts, wild mushroom, quinoa, forbidden rice puffs and lemon truffle dressing.
6. 1000 Pound Bend, Melbourne: Chia coconut pudding with stewed fruits, labne, vanilla honey and pistachio.
7. Little Big Sugar Salt, Abbotsford: Spiced pumpkin pancakes with fresh banana, maple, granola and coconut yoghurt.
8. Wide Open Road, Brunswick: Banana and chia seed porridge with fresh mango, salted coconut cream and peanuts.
9. Mixed Business, Clifton Hill: Smoked cream corn and avocado toast with lime yoghurt, coriander and house-pickled jalapenos.
10. Pillar of Salt, Richmond: Mango lassi bircher made with quinoa, pomegranate raita, spiced poached quinoa and toasted pistachio crumbs.
11. Maillard Toast, Fitzroy North: Avocado, fresh tomato, ricotta, alfafa, cracked pepper and pepitas on soy and quinoa sourdough.
12. Twenty & Six Espresso, North Melbourne: Black sticky rice pudding, coconut cream, fresh mango, puffed wild rice.
13. Serotonin Eatery, Richmond: Nutrition bomb of poached egg, broccoli, alkalising greens, sprouts, house-made hummus, cold roast veggies, nuts, seeds and pickled powerkraut.
14. Mastic, Kew: Chia pudding, hazelnut spread, freeze-dried mandarins, coconut and nut crumble.
15. Naughty Boy, Princes Hill: Roasted Japanese pumpkin, smoked eggplant puree, fresh avocado, cherry tomatoes, poached eggs with seeds and grains.
16. Neighbours Cafe, St Kilda: Frozen acai berry mousse with granola, banana, strawberry, dates, nuts and yoghurt.
17. School of Seven Bells, Windsor: Sweet potato and quinoa has stack with honey-wood smoked NS salmon, paprika-infused ricotta with a poached egg.
18. Heal.Thy Self Co, Yarraville: Antioxidant-loaded acai berry sorbet, served with house-made granola, crispy coconut flakes and fresh seasonal fruit.
19. My Other Brother, Camberwell: Lime and coconut forbidden rice pudding with passionfruit, mango, pomegranate and shaved toasted coconut.
20. Baba Sus, Glen Iris: Polenta nuggets with avocado puree, cured salmon, herb cream, soy salt and a poached egg.
21. Kinfolk, CBD: Quinoa porridge, sweet pickled rhubarb, strawberries, goji berries and dehydrated fruit.
22. Mitte, Fitzroy North: Powerhouse granola with organic seeds, grains and dried fruits, baked with organic apple and served with yoghurt and a compote of baked pear, rhubarb and raspberry.
23. Second Home, Eltham: Smashed avocado with Yarra Valley Persian fetta, Vegemite salt, mint and house-made five-grain toast.
24. Wholefoods Food Store, Brighton: Super cacao smoothie with raw cacao powder, avocado, banana, sunflower seeds, raw honey, Himalayan salt and coconut water.
25. Cornershop, Yarraville: Puffed and toasted grains and seeds with caramelised pear and coconut yoghurt.
26. Einstein’s 251, Caulfield North: Picnic trifle with layers of yoghurt and berry coulis, lotus cookie crumble and toasted coconut.
27. Top Paddock, Richmond: Grilled broccolini and sugar snaps with avocado, toasted almonds, poached eggs and Heidi raclette on toast.
28. Street Organics, Malvern: Black sesame sago pudding with tapioca pearls, black sesame and dried mango, served warm with coconut cream.
29. Touchwood, Richmond: Poached pear and salted caramel wholemeal waffles with whipped mascarpone, strawberry dust and toasted almonds.
30. Industry Beans, Fitzroy: Crispy beans and quinoa with chilli pickle, avocado, tomato, Spanish onion and a poached egg.
31. Liar Liar, Hawthorn: Oat porridge served with mulled wine poached quince, roasted almonds, honey and raspberry labne.
32. Proud Mary, Collingwood: Fresh and freeze-dried strawberry, rockmelon, watermelon salad with yoghurt and macadamia.
33. St Ali, South Melbourne: Vegan pistachio sponge with pecans, dark chocolate, buckini, crunchy puffed grains and a banana and match mousse, served with pear, lime and chia salad.
34. Pressed Juices, various locations: Banana and salted caramel smoothie with pecan and walnut milk, banana, chia, dates, mesquite, Himalayan salt and vanilla.
35. Chez Dre, South Melbourne: Coconut and quinoa porridge with poached seasonal fruits, chai seeds and pistachio praline.
36. Kettle Black, South Melbourne: Tataki ocean trout with a raw kale and pickled vegetable salad, seaweed, nuts and poached eggs.
37. Code Black, Brunswick: Breakfast couscous, steamed with fruit juice, roasted nuts, dried peaches and cranberries, served with house-made creamy coconut yoghurt.
38. Journeyman, Windsor: Beetroot-cured salmon with quinoa, avocado, chilli and kale salad, poached eggs, feta and herbs.
39. Old Barber Shop Cafe, Richmond: Breakfast salad featuring a tomato medley, olives, feta, basil, avocado and poached eggs.
40. Nutrition Bar, various locations: Nutter shake with choc almond milk, banana, peanut butter and choc protein powder.
41. Breakfast Thieves, Fitzroy: Vanilla and honey soy milk porridge of organic quinoa and rolled oats served with spice-poached quince, candied hazelnut and crystalised rose petal.
42. Isit Cafe, Prahran: Sauteed wild mushrooms with poached eggs, hazelnuts, truffle oil, goat’s cheese and seeded toast.
43. Merchant’s Guild, Bentleigh East: Avocado, kale, broccoli flowerette, barley, mung sprouts, green chilli and pumpkin seeds on toast with light cottage cheese and free range eggs.
44. Mammoth, Armadale: Coconut yoghurt custard, strawberry salad, raw buckwheat and wattle seed granola, rapeseed oil.
45. Hammer and Tong, Fitzroy: Amaranth porridge, almond milk, earl grey poached winter fruits, coconut and pear.
46. St Edmond’s, Prahran: Matcha green smoothie bowl with avocado, banana, mango, spinach, pistachio, oats and fresh berries.
47. Green Park Dining, Carlton North: House-smoked ocean trout with soba noodles, miso, wakame, daikon and cucumber.
Image credit: Simon Shiff for The Urban List
– See more at: http://www.theurbanlist.com/melbourne/a-list/best-healthy-breakfasts-in-melbourne#sthash.cGSbtcpW.dpuf